This was the second scheduled visit to the home after the first needed to be suspended on arrival due to lack of availability of the manager.
The visit to Highfield Manor is the seventh home to take part in Healthwatch Rochdale's Enter and View programme at local care homes. The programme is based on eight care quality indicators developed by Independent Age which are used to help identify good quality of care in residential and nursing homes. Areas of improvement were identified at Highfield Manor on six of the indicators with seven recommendations being made. Of those recommendations, four were for dementia friendly improvements to be made to the home environment.
Recommendations for improvement included:
- To display the name of the occupying resident is displayed on the bedroom door
- To have different coloured bedroom doors to make the home more dementia friendly
- To provide a range of multi-sensory activities to stimulate smell, sight, vision, touch and hearing
- Having an accessible picture board of food choices displayed in the dining area so that residents know what food options are available
- Having a 'you said we did' board to demonstrate how resident and staff feedback can make a positive difference